Gangster to Doctor, August 26, 2012 By Heatherness (Babylon, New York) This review is from: Gangster to Doctor: The True Life Story of a South Florida Gangster Who Became a Ph.D. (Paperback) This book kept me riveted from start to finish. It's a raw, real account of life through the eyes of a man who was able to take his life from one extreme to another. What most see as an impossible dream became a tangible reality in this powerful, true account of Ray Ransom's life. If you're looking for an intriguing, interesting read, look no further. I look forward to reading further publications by this articulate author. Enjoy!
A Powerful Story of Poverty to Riches, Crime to Prison, Purpose and Principles, September 11, 2012 By Richard R. Blake (Bridgman, Michigan) This review is from: Gangster to Doctor: The True Life Story of a South Florida Gangster Who Became a Ph.D. (Paperback) "Gangster to Doctor" is Ray A. Ransom's true life story. Ray's story reads like a definitive novel of the south. Ray was born turning the tumultuous years of political unrest in the late 1950s. His earliest memories include discussions overheard in his home regarding racial tension, Martin Luther King, Jr., and the assassination of Malcolm X.
- Overcoming unimaginable hurdles Ray became vitally influenced through his involvement in school integration in the 1960's. Ray made a promise to his grandmother at the age of seven to become a doctor. This commitment became the driving force and Ray's life purpose. A purpose that turned into an amazing journey before reaching its achievement.
- As a teenager Ray became a martial arts master. At age twenty Ray was already a father raising three children. A year later he was Florida's youngest real estate broker. At the same time he was establishing himself as a man to be feared. He took upon himself a form of street justice as a result of being betrayed by trusted partners and his mistrust of law enforcement agencies.
- Ray became a millionaire by his twenty-fifth birthday. A series of encounters with the law forced him out of real estate resulting in his becoming a drug-dealing gangster. In time he was on the top of the Division of Organized Crimes list, indicted on fifteen federal counts, and sentenced to serve sixteen years in prison.
- During his time in prison Ray earned a B. A. degree, an MBA, and a Ph.D. degree. This fulfilled the commitment he made to his grandmother to become a doctor. Ray's writing is engaging, written with purpose, and highly informative. He warns the reader of the results of bigotry, racism, injustice, and needed social reforms.
- Today Ray draws on his life experiences to coach and educate his readers on the risks of misdirected pursuits and their consequences. Ray's life is a testimony of the higher purpose and plan of God for Ray. During his imprisonment he changed the thousands of prisoners to follow a better path. He has contributed to prison reform, promoted proactive programs and training for at risk youth. The opinions expressed are my own.
Gangster to Doctor features in The Midwest Book Review October 2012 issue of online book review magazine "Reviewer's Bookwatch." Go to: http://www.midwestbookreview.com to see review.
HIGHLY RECOMMEND, August 19, 2012 By Sisko (West Palm Beach, Florida) This review is from: Gangster to Doctor: The True Life Story of a South Florida Gangster Who Became a Ph.D. (Paperback) This riveting and compelling saga reads like a movie script! A true life account that is a very relevant story for our time! It demonstrates that the culture, circumstances, ethnicity, or even our own choices don't have to dictate the ultimate level of success and influence (for good) that one can attain!
January 10, 2013. "We are pleased to inform you that your product Gangster to Doctor:The True Life Story of a South Florida Gangster Who Became a Ph.D. has been awarded by our portal with "5 Stars" Award." "Great job, we're really impressed!"